Signet was commissioned to design and supply a number of special closing hinges to fit to the access decks on the new offshore Dudgeon wind farm project.
The closers had to be highly weatherproof to survive in the
The new Dudgeon offshore wind farm project required a number of gate closing springs for the access decks on the turbines.The specification was:
• Highly weatherproof for the marine conditions
• Reliable self closing ensured with a 27 year guarantee
• Includes a heavy duty stainless steel spring for consistently reliable closing
The Signet Solution
Signet researched in depth to find a solution that would meet the demands, which included evaluating:
• How to design the closer body to prevent fracturing in the harsh conditions
• The weight and torsion of the spring suitable for closing the gates reliably
• What fixings to use to ensure maximum strength
Signet came up with a solution as following:
• A solid 316 stainless steel body and all stainless steel fixings for maximum corrosion resistance
• This fitted upright between the gate frame and the post to provide an unobtrusive finish
• The spring was manufactured specially out of stainless steel to provide the needed closing strength.